Wednesday, July 11, 2012

River Adventures

When I was attending Lake City Community College, Lake City, Florida in 1981, my dorm buddies and I went on a wild and adventurous trip down the Suwannee River. I drove a 1953 Chevy pickup at the time and my job was to haul my buddies camp stuff, tents, food, coolers, beer and canoes. My old picture here says a thousand words! Our trip was no more than 40 miles, but what a paddle it was! Facing the dangers of the wilds of Florida near White Springs; alligators, poisonous snakes falling into our canoes, downed trees, private property owners, bad weather and Florida river rapids (after which we had to learn how to roll over a canoe)! Well the time we had! Mind you we had been young guys, from all walks of life and in our early twenties. Most of us were not too far out of High School and away from home. This trip’s entertainment wasn’t limited to the river and wildlife. Our favorite drunk buddy came and would do some great late night fire walking, our jock who would hide peoples things and our practical joker (me) who would play tricks on everyone! Our trip was only 4 days in wild Florida, but is still the most memorable of all my canoe trips! It has made me to this day look forward to my next outdoor adventure. Even though I'm now 50 years old, I still hunger to paddle and enjoy life! Thank you for letting me share my story.

Christopher Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment